Friday, March 9, 2012

Can you explain to me what happens when you open the door and a police officer is standing there with a search warrant? Is it just like on TV? Do they just hand it to you, walk in, and begin tearing your place apart, or are you allowed to read the entire warrant before you let them in?

I'm just curious to know, because what if they're not real police officers and the paper is a fraud (like in Training Day, when Denzel used a chinese take-out menu to make a woman believe he had official papers that allowed him to search her place).|||Why yes, we actually have, courtesy of my creep stepson ("I didn't steal it, honest!" yeah right.
They were very nice about it, they handed me the search warrant, explained and pointed to the appropriate signatures and started looking. They did not "toss" the house---I asked them and they said "that's only for people giving us a hard time!" and they honored my request NOT to search my bedroom (I wouldnt have been able to sleep in there again, and it was always secured against the punk anyway)...
Anyway, don't be a jerk to them and they'll be nice. Maybe.

PS, that was the last night my stepson spent in my home again.|||Nobody fools the Munya twice!
Having the cops hanging around your house is not a good position to be in, it was a tough summer.

Report Abuse

|||I never have. Sorry!|||if they have a warrant they will ask you to get out of the way by speaking to officer X as they search he will read it to you if you like.. they don't need your consent at that point
yes I've been there|||As long as you explain to them that you would like a moment to read the warrant and call your lawyer, there shouldn't be any problem. Do not bar them from entry, simply ask them to wait, while keeping an eye on you and any others in the home (so you can't hide/flush evidence!) so that you can be certain everything is correct.

They are not supposed to just bust in and rip stuff apart.

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment