Friday, March 9, 2012

I grew up in and around Toronto, Canada and I would, as many do, go for Chinese take-out every once in a while. Now of course, there are good restaurants and bad restaurants, but by and large, the fried rice tasted pretty much the same no matter where I went. We would normally order the pork friend rice of chicken friend rice. The meats lent slightly different flavors to the dish, but still, basically the same.

Well, I don't live in Canada anymore and the restaurants here in Japan make Chinese fried rice very differently. They use the Japanese rice which is very sticky and it tends to be very oily (perhaps in an attempt to make it less sticky?)... Anyway, personally, I don't like the fried rice here very much. I almost never eat it.

Instead, I'd like to learn how to make it at home. I can obtain some Basmati rice, which isn't sticky, so I intend to use that, although I'm not sure it's necessarily the best rice for Chinese dishes. Still, it's all I've got so that's that.

I've tried to find a recipe that will give me the same taste as the restaurants that surround Toronto (and most likely have the same taste across North America) but every recipe I've tried falls way short. I just can't seem to get the same flavors, no matter what I try. Considering that pretty much every restaurant I've ever been to gives almost the same taste, I imagine it's not a huge secret!

So how can I make this myself? Does anyone know of a recipe on the net (or perhaps your own) for making rice exactly like they do in North American restaurants? (I'm not interested in something 'better'. I just want to reproduce the taste I used to enjoy when I was younger.)

Help!|||Try this
Ingredients:
4 cups cooked rice or 1 cup uncooked rice
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
2 tablespoons carrots, finely diced
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup onion, diced
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons soy sauce
salt
pepper

Directions:
1. 1 Cook rice following instructions on package (Bring 2 cups water to a boil, add rice and a dash of salt, reduce heat and simmer in covered saucepan for 20 minutes).
2. 2 Pour rice into a large bowl to let it cool in the refrigerator.
3. 3 Scramble the eggs in a small pan over medium heat.
4. 4 Separate the scrambled chunks of egg into small pea-size bits while cooking.
5. 5 When rice has cooled to near room temperature, add peas, grated carrot, scrambled egg and diced onion to the bowl.
6. 6 Carefully toss all of the ingredients together.
7. 7 Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium/high heat.
8. 8 When butter has completely melted, dump the bowl of rice and other ingredients into the pan and add soy sauce plus a dash of salt and pepper.
9. 9 Cook rice for 6-8 minutes over heat, stirring often.|||Watch a video recipe to learn how to make pork fried rice:
http://www.porkrecipesvideos.com/Quick-a鈥?/a>

Two tips:
1. Use rice cooked the day before.
2. Get the wok very, very hot before you add anything to it.

Good luck!!|||When I bother to make it myself, I usually use a packet from the grocer. I always cook with short grain rice, not anything fancy.

http://www.chinesefooddiy.com/recipes_fr鈥?/a>

http://chinese.food.com/recipe/chinese-r鈥?/a>|||Basmati will work well, and you could use whatever you wished instead of my bacon and egg fried rice.

Rice:- Bacon & Egg Fried
(by Dune 18/6/11)
1 1/2 C. Water
1 C. Rice
6 Pieces bacon
3 or 4 Eggs
Garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Chopped onion
2 T. Tomato sauce.
1 T. soy sauce
Bring water to a boil and add rice. Cook for 30 minutes. While rice is cooking, fry bacon. Save 1/2 of grease.
Scramble eggs in bowl, add garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste. Add 2 tablespoons water to eggs and mix well. Fry egg mixture like a pancake.
Fry rice, add chopped onion, chopped bacon and catsup.
Cut up egg omelette and add rice. Stir in soy sauce.
Serve hot.
Add hot sauce, if desired.
Tip
Day old cooked rice works far better, but slightly under cook if it is you intention to use for fried rice.|||2 cups Rice
3 tbsp Oil
100 gms Beans Finely Chopped
2 Carrot Finely Chopped
1 Onion Sliced
100 gms Cabbage Finely Chopped
2 Spring Onions Finely Chopped
2-3 Green Chilies cut lenghtwise
1 tsp Ginger Chopped Finely
1 tsp Garlic Finely Chopped
2 tbsp Soya Sauce
Salt & pepper to taste

recipe

1 Pick, wash and soak the rice in enough water for 10-15 minutes and drain.
2 Boil water, add rice and little salt.
3 Cook uncovered on low heat till rice is tender.
4 Take care not to overcook the rice. Each grain of rice should be separate.
5 When rice is done, drain and add soom cold water and drain again using a large seive and set aside.
6 Heat oil in a kadhai / large pan and stir fry all the chopped vegetables.
7 Cook for 3-4 minutes.
8 Take care that vegetables are not overdone, they should be crisp.
9 Mix salt and pepper to taste.
10 Add the cooked rice and mix well. Now mix the soya sauce to it.
11 Cook the Chinese fried rice for 2-3 minutes and serve hot.|||Whether sticky is not decided by the rice,but by the way u cook it.If u boil the rice with more water,it would be sticky.If u boil it with less water it would be dry.Also,new boiled rice can be wet.
If u want the best way,u need a Chinese Gas stoves which can offer u much biger and hotter fire.Also,u need a Chinese iron pan锛宨t is quite different from westerns and can influence the flavor greatly. That is why u cannot copy the flavor of restaurants without these things.
About the rice,the best rice is Thailand rice or Chinese northeastern Wuchang rice.

Here is the way of cooking for hundreds kinds of fried rice.They ahve pictures for main steps,so u just need a google translator.
http://www.meishichina.com/Topic/CaiPu/C鈥?/a>

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment